Diversity and inclusion are core values of our department, and we believe that diversity promotes scientific excellence and innovation. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee aims to develop, implement, and sustain actions that reflect and foster these values. We aim to support all members of our community, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, national origin, background, or physical ability. We are committed to engaging regularly with all members of our community to get their input, ideas, and suggestions for ways we can make the department a more diverse, welcoming, and supportive environment in which all scientists can thrive and do their best work. We will work to implement needed changes in everything we do, including how we conduct research, teach and train students and postdocs, communicate internally and externally to MIT, and provide service to the community. We will hold ourselves accountable by reporting openly and transparently about our efforts, progress, and plans.
Representatives of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Council include students, postdocs, staff, and faculty. The goals of this council are to more broadly and comprehensively understand and address the needs of the Department. Council members gather information regarding the needs of community members, discuss and prioritize DEI-related issues, advise other entities in the department (e.g. Department Head, faculty DEI committee, Graduate Committee), and act on its own as appropriate.
- Graduate students: Meghann Kasal (building 68, Baker lab); Gayathri Muthukumar (WI, Weissman lab, co-chair of the DEI council); Kiera Sapp (KI, Vander Heiden lab)
- Postdocs: Alexandra Pike (Building 68, Bell lab); Pedro Pozo (KI, Lees lab)
- Undergraduates: Lilly Edwards (CSAIL); Shannon Weng (KI, Amon lab)
- Staff: Eva Frederick (WI, Communications); Gaelle Gourgues (Building 68, Finance Office); Joshua Stone (Building 68, Education Office); Read Schusky (Building 68, Drennan lab)
- Faculty: Mike Laub (Building 68); Yukiko Yamashita (WI, co-chair of the DEI council)
The DEI Council was established in January 2021.
DEI Faculty Committee
The DEI Faculty Committee focuses on DEI issues of particular relevance to faculty.
- Mike Laub, co-chair
- Yukiko Yamashita, co-chair
- Iain Cheeseman
- Becky Lamason
- Jackie Lees
- Sebastian Lourido
- Matt Vander Heiden
The DEI Faculty Committee was established in July 2020, and will provide more detailed information soon about how we plan to seek input, suggestions, and feedback from the community. More information will be posted shortly.
Have suggestions? Fill out the anonymous feedback form (Touchstone access required).