Transfer Credit

High School Advanced Placement

The Biology department does not give transfer credit for Biology courses taken during high school. This applies to advanced placement courses or other courses taken at the college-level by high school students.

For Students Currently Matriculated at MIT

The Biology Department does not give transfer credit for biology courses taken at outside (non-MIT) institutions. This includes cross-registration courses at Harvard or Wellesley, and courses taken during the summer.

The only exception to this policy applies to students who are participating in the Cambridge-MIT Exchange (CME).

While On Leave from MIT

MIT students who withdraw or take a leave of absence often take courses at another university. Please keep in mind that the Biology Department does not give transfer credit for courses taken outside of MIT to students who are on leave and planning to apply for re-admission to MIT.

Transfer Students

Students who apply to MIT as transfer students and enter as upperclassmen, having completed at least one full academic year at another university, may apply for biology transfer credit for coursework done at their previous institution.  Students need to submit supporting materials from their biology courses to the Biology Department’s transfer credit examiner, and complete a “request for additional credit” form.  

If credit for Introductory Biology (7.012) is not approved, transfer students may apply to take the Biology GIR validation exam. The validation exam is offered at the same time as the Advanced Standing Exam (ASE), but unlike the ASE, your grade will not be recorded on your transcript.  If you do not pass, you will need to take Introductory Biology (7.012, 7.013, 7.014, 7.015, or 7.016) to fulfill your Biology GIR.  Information on the Advanced Standing Exam is available here.  Please note that in order to be approved to take the validation exam, a transfer credit form must be submitted in advance to the transfer credit examiner.

See also university policy on transfer credit for work done at another institution.