- PhD, 1988, University of California, San Francisco
- SB, 1983, Biology, Harvard University
Research SummaryDr. Jacks’ research has focused on developing new methods for the construction and characterization of genetically engineered mouse models or GEMMs of human cancer, and recently has moved into the burgeoning area of tumor immunology to understand the interactions between the immune system and cancer. His group has produced GEMMs with constitutive and conditional mutations in several tumor suppressor genes, oncogenes, and genes involved in oxidative stress, DNA repair and epigenetic control of gene expression. These GEMMS have been used to examine the mechanism of tumor initiation and progression, to uncover the molecular, genetic and biochemical relationship to the human diseases, as tools to study response and resistance to chemotherapy, and to explore methods in molecular imaging and early detection of cancer.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, James R Killian Jr Faculty Achievement Award, 2015
- Sergio Lombroso Award in Cancer Research, 2015
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 2012
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 2009
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Member, 2009
- Paul Marks Prize for Cancer Research, 2005
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI Investigator, 1994
- Regulatory T Cells in Tumor-Associated Tertiary Lymphoid Structures Suppress Anti-tumor T Cell Responses. Joshi, NS, Akama-Garren, EH, Lu, Y, Lee, DY, Chang, GP, Li, A, DuPage, M, Tammela, T, Kerper, NR, Farago, AF et al.. 2015. Immunity 43, 579-90.
- CRISPR-mediated direct mutation of cancer genes in the mouse liver. Xue, W, Chen, S, Yin, H, Tammela, T, Papagiannakopoulos, T, Joshi, NS, Cai, W, Yang, G, Bronson, R, Crowley, DG et al.. 2014. Nature 514, 380-4.
- Expression of tumour-specific antigens underlies cancer immunoediting. DuPage, M, Mazumdar, C, Schmidt, LM, Cheung, AF, Jacks, T. 2012. Nature 482, 405-9.
- The differential effects of mutant p53 alleles on advanced murine lung cancer. Jackson, EL, Olive, KP, Tuveson, DA, Bronson, R, Crowley, D, Brown, M, Jacks, T. 2005. Cancer Res 65, 10280-8.
- Somatic activation of the K-ras oncogene causes early onset lung cancer in mice. Johnson, L, Mercer, K, Greenbaum, D, Bronson, RT, Crowley, D, Tuveson, DA, Jacks, T. 2001. Nature 410, 1111-6.
- Epigenomic State Transitions Characterize Tumor Progression in Mouse Lung Adenocarcinoma. LaFave, LM, Kartha, VK, Ma, S, Meli, K, Del Priore, I, Lareau, C, Naranjo, S, Westcott, PMK, Duarte, FM, Sankar, V et al.. 2020. Cancer Cell 38, 212-228.e13.
- CRISPR-mediated modeling and functional validation of candidate tumor suppressor genes in small cell lung cancer. Ng, SR, Rideout, WM 3rd, Akama-Garren, EH, Bhutkar, A, Mercer, KL, Schenkel, JM, Bronson, RT, Jacks, T. 2020. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 117, 513-521.
- IL-33 Signaling Alters Regulatory T Cell Diversity in Support of Tumor Development. Li, A, Herbst, RH, Canner, D, Schenkel, JM, Smith, OC, Kim, JY, Hillman, M, Bhutkar, A, Cuoco, MS, Rappazzo, CG et al.. 2019. Cell Rep 29, 2998-3008.e8.
- Identification of DHODH as a therapeutic target in small cell lung cancer. Li, L, Ng, SR, Colón, CI, Drapkin, BJ, Hsu, PP, Li, Z, Nabel, CS, Lewis, CA, Romero, R, Mercer, KL et al.. 2019. Sci Transl Med 11, .
- Enhanced adaptive immune responses in lung adenocarcinoma through natural killer cell stimulation. Schmidt, L, Eskiocak, B, Kohn, R, Dang, C, Joshi, NS, DuPage, M, Lee, DY, Jacks, T. 2019. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116, 17460-17469.
- Commensal Microbiota Promote Lung Cancer Development via γδ T Cells. Jin, C, Lagoudas, GK, Zhao, C, Bullman, S, Bhutkar, A, Hu, B, Ameh, S, Sandel, D, Liang, XS, Mazzilli, S et al.. 2019. Cell 176, 998-1013.e16.
- Isoform-specific deletion of PKM2 constrains tumor initiation in a mouse model of soft tissue sarcoma. Dayton, TL, Gocheva, V, Miller, KM, Bhutkar, A, Lewis, CA, Bronson, RT, Vander Heiden, MG, Jacks, T. 2018. Cancer Metab 6, 6.
- Adaptive and Reversible Resistance to Kras Inhibition in Pancreatic Cancer Cells. Chen, PY, Muzumdar, MD, Dorans, KJ, Robbins, R, Bhutkar, A, Del Rosario, A, Mertins, P, Qiao, J, Schafer, AC, Gertler, F et al.. 2018. Cancer Res 78, 985-1002.
- Survival of pancreatic cancer cells lacking KRAS function. Muzumdar, MD, Chen, PY, Dorans, KJ, Chung, KM, Bhutkar, A, Hong, E, Noll, EM, Sprick, MR, Trumpp, A, Jacks, T et al.. 2017. Nat Commun 8, 1090.
- Driving Rel-iant Tregs toward an Identity Crisis. Li, A, Jacks, T. 2017. Immunity 47, 391-393.