- PhD, 1988, University of California, San Francisco
- SB, 1983, Biology, Harvard University
Research SummaryDr. Jacks’ research has focused on developing new methods for the construction and characterization of genetically engineered mouse models or GEMMs of human cancer, and recently has moved into the burgeoning area of tumor immunology to understand the interactions between the immune system and cancer. His group has produced GEMMs with constitutive and conditional mutations in several tumor suppressor genes, oncogenes, and genes involved in oxidative stress, DNA repair and epigenetic control of gene expression. These GEMMS have been used to examine the mechanism of tumor initiation and progression, to uncover the molecular, genetic and biochemical relationship to the human diseases, as tools to study response and resistance to chemotherapy, and to explore methods in molecular imaging and early detection of cancer.
- AACR Princess Takamatsu Memorial Lectureship, 2020
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, James R Killian Jr Faculty Achievement Award, 2015
- Sergio Lombroso Award in Cancer Research, 2015
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 2012
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 2009
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Member, 2009
- Paul Marks Prize for Cancer Research, 2005
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI Investigator, 1994
- SMARCA4 inactivation promotes lineage-specific transformation and early metastatic features in the lung. Concepcion, CP, Ma, S, LaFave, LM, Bhutkar, A, Liu, M, DeAngelo, LP, Kim, JY, Del Priore, I, Schoenfeld, AJ, Miller, M et al.. 2021. Cancer Discov , .
- Antigen dominance hierarchies shape TCF1+ progenitor CD8 T cell phenotypes in tumors. Burger, ML, Cruz, AM, Crossland, GE, Gaglia, G, Ritch, CC, Blatt, SE, Bhutkar, A, Canner, D, Kienka, T, Tavana, SZ et al.. 2021. Cell 184, 4996-5014.e26.
- Conventional type I dendritic cells maintain a reservoir of proliferative tumor-antigen specific TCF-1+ CD8+ T cells in tumor-draining lymph nodes. Schenkel, JM, Herbst, RH, Canner, D, Li, A, Hillman, M, Shanahan, SL, Gibbons, G, Smith, OC, Kim, JY, Westcott, P et al.. 2021. Immunity 54, 2338-2353.e6.
- The CD155/TIGIT axis promotes and maintains immune evasion in neoantigen-expressing pancreatic cancer. Freed-Pastor, WA, Lambert, LJ, Ely, ZA, Pattada, NB, Bhutkar, A, Eng, G, Mercer, KL, Garcia, AP, Lin, L, Rideout, WM 3rd et al.. 2021. Cancer Cell 39, 1342-1360.e14.
- Mitochondrial apoptotic priming is a key determinant of cell fate upon p53 restoration. Sánchez-Rivera, FJ, Ryan, J, Soto-Feliciano, YM, Clare Beytagh, M, Xuan, L, Feldser, DM, Hemann, MT, Zamudio, J, Dimitrova, N, Letai, A et al.. 2021. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 118, .
- Epigenomic State Transitions Characterize Tumor Progression in Mouse Lung Adenocarcinoma. LaFave, LM, Kartha, VK, Ma, S, Meli, K, Del Priore, I, Lareau, C, Naranjo, S, Westcott, PMK, Duarte, FM, Sankar, V et al.. 2020. Cancer Cell 38, 212-228.e13.
- Keap1 mutation renders lung adenocarcinomas dependent on Slc33a1. Romero, R, Sánchez-Rivera, FJ, Westcott, PMK, Mercer, KL, Bhutkar, A, Muir, A, González-Robles, TJ, Lamboy-Rodríguez, SA, Liao, LZ, Ng, SR et al.. 2020. Nat Cancer 1, 589-602.
- CRISPR-mediated modeling and functional validation of candidate tumor suppressor genes in small cell lung cancer. Ng, SR, Rideout, WM 3rd, Akama-Garren, EH, Bhutkar, A, Mercer, KL, Schenkel, JM, Bronson, RT, Jacks, T. 2020. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 117, 513-521.
- IL-33 Signaling Alters Regulatory T Cell Diversity in Support of Tumor Development. Li, A, Herbst, RH, Canner, D, Schenkel, JM, Smith, OC, Kim, JY, Hillman, M, Bhutkar, A, Cuoco, MS, Rappazzo, CG et al.. 2019. Cell Rep 29, 2998-3008.e8.
- Identification of DHODH as a therapeutic target in small cell lung cancer. Li, L, Ng, SR, Colón, CI, Drapkin, BJ, Hsu, PP, Li, Z, Nabel, CS, Lewis, CA, Romero, R, Mercer, KL et al.. 2019. Sci Transl Med 11, .