The BioMicro Center is operated in collaboration between the Departments of Biology and Biological Engineering at MIT, the Koch Institute for Integrated Cancer Research, and the MIT Center for Environmental Health Sciences. It provides MIT faculty members with integrated facilities for high-throughput data-intensive genomics, bioinformatic analysis, as well as large-scale database storage, management, data mining and data modeling required to fully implement systems approaches to investigate a broad spectrum of biological problems. As the director, Stuart brings a broad range of expertise and knowledge of genomic and bioinformatics approaches to biological problems.
In 2015, he earned the MIT Infinite Mile Award, followed by the MIT Excellence Award in 2017. Stuart is also President of Northeastern Regional Life Sciences Core Directors (NERLSCD) and Chair of the DNA Sequencing Research Group of the Association of Biomolecular Research Facilities (ABRF).
- Monitoring Error Rates In Illumina Sequencing. Manley, LJ, Ma, D, Levine, SS. 2016. J Biomol Tech 27, 125-128.
- Polycomb Repressive Complex 2 regulates lineage fidelity during embryonic stem cell differentiation. Thornton, SR, Butty, VL, Levine, SS, Boyer, LA. 2014. PLoS One 9, e110498.
- Lane-by-lane sequencing using Illumina's Genome Analyzer II. Gravina, MT, Lin, JH, Levine, SS. 2013. Biotechniques 54, 265-9.
- Divergent transcription from active promoters. Seila, AC, Calabrese, JM, Levine, SS, Yeo, GW, Rahl, PB, Flynn, RA, Young, RA, Sharp, PA. 2008. Science 322, 1849-51.
- Connecting microRNA genes to the core transcriptional regulatory circuitry of embryonic stem cells. Marson, A, Levine, SS, Cole, MF, Frampton, GM, Brambrink, T, Johnstone, S, Guenther, MG, Johnston, WK, Wernig, M, Newman, J et al.. 2008. Cell 134, 521-33.
- A chromatin landmark and transcription initiation at most promoters in human cells. Guenther, MG, Levine, SS, Boyer, LA, Jaenisch, R, Young, RA. 2007. Cell 130, 77-88.
- Control of developmental regulators by Polycomb in human embryonic stem cells. Lee, TI, Jenner, RG, Boyer, LA, Guenther, MG, Levine, SS, Kumar, RM, Chevalier, B, Johnstone, SE, Cole, MF, Isono, K et al.. 2006. Cell 125, 301-13.
- The core of the polycomb repressive complex is compositionally and functionally conserved in flies and humans. Levine, SS, Weiss, A, Erdjument-Bromage, H, Shao, Z, Tempst, P, Kingston, RE. 2002. Mol Cell Biol 22, 6070-8.