- PhD, 1990, University of California, Berkeley
- BS, 1985, Integrated Science Program and Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Northwestern University
Research SummaryWe focus on the events that occur at the starting points of chromosome duplication. These DNA sequences — called “origins of replication” — are found at multiple sites on each eukaryotic chromosome and direct the assembly of replisomes, which replicate the DNA on both sides of the origin. We study this assembly process to understand how chromosomes are replicated, and how these events are regulated during the cell cycle to ensure genome maintenance.
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 2017
- National Academy of Sciences Award in Molecular Biology, 2009
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI Investigator, 2000
- Mechanism and timing of Mcm2-7 ring closure during DNA replication origin licensing. Ticau, S, Friedman, LJ, Champasa, K, Corrêa, IR Jr, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2017. Nat Struct Mol Biol 24, 309-315.
- Single-molecule studies of origin licensing reveal mechanisms ensuring bidirectional helicase loading. Ticau, S, Friedman, LJ, Ivica, NA, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2015. Cell 161, 513-525.
- Eukaryotic origin-dependent DNA replication in vitro reveals sequential action of DDK and S-CDK kinases. Heller, RC, Kang, S, Lam, WM, Chen, S, Chan, CS, Bell, SP. 2011. Cell 146, 80-91.
- Changing protein-DNA interactions promote ORC binding-site exchange during replication origin licensing. Zhang, A, Friedman, LJ, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2023. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 120, e2305556120.
- Regulation of replication origin licensing by ORC phosphorylation reveals a two-step mechanism for Mcm2-7 ring closing. Amasino, AL, Gupta, S, Friedman, LJ, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2023. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 120, e2221484120.
- Changing protein-DNA interactions promote ORC binding site exchange during replication origin licensing. Zhang, A, Friedman, LJ, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2023. bioRxiv , .
- Regulation of replication origin licensing by ORC phosphorylation reveals a two-step mechanism for Mcm2-7 ring closing. Amasino, A, Gupta, S, Friedman, LJ, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2023. bioRxiv , .
- A helicase-tethered ORC flip enables bidirectional helicase loading. Gupta, S, Friedman, LJ, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2021. Elife 10, .
- DDK regulates replication initiation by controlling the multiplicity of Cdc45-GINS binding to Mcm2-7. De Jesús-Kim, L, Friedman, LJ, Lõoke, M, Ramsoomair, CK, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2021. Elife 10, .
- A conserved Mcm4 motif is required for Mcm2-7 double-hexamer formation and origin DNA unwinding. Champasa, K, Blank, C, Friedman, LJ, Gelles, J, Bell, SP. 2019. Elife 8, .
- Initiation-specific alleles of the Cdc45 helicase-activating protein. Rios-Morales, RY, Chan, SH, Bell, SP. 2019. PLoS One 14, e0214426.
- Transcriptional repression of CDC6 and SLD2 during meiosis is associated with production of short heterogeneous RNA isoforms. Phizicky, DV, Bell, SP. 2018. Chromosoma 127, 515-527.
- Multiple kinases inhibit origin licensing and helicase activation to ensure reductive cell division during meiosis. Phizicky, DV, Berchowitz, LE, Bell, SP. 2018. Elife 7, .