Research SummaryWe study the mechanisms underlying the spread of tumor cells throughout the body, known as metastasis. We are particularly interested in the role of the extracellular matrix — a fibrillar meshwork of proteins that surrounds both normal and tumor cells, which plays many important roles in tumor progression. We also investigate changes in the metastatic cells themselves and in the contributions of normal cells, both in terms of metastasis and other bodily functions.
- Inaugural American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Fellow, 2016
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Academy, Fellow, 2014
- Distinguished Investigator Award, International Society for Matrix Biology, 2012
- Earl Benditt Award, North American Vascular Biology Organization, 2010
- Robert and Claire Pasarow Medical Research Award – Cardiovascular, 2008
- E.B. Wilson Medal, American Society for Cell Biology, 2007
- President, American Society for Cell Biology, 2000
- Gairdner Foundation International Award, 1997
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 1996
- National Academy of Medicine, Member, 1995
- Royal Society of London, Fellow, 1989
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI Investigator, 1988
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow, 1987
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 1987
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, Guggenheim Fellowship, 1982
- SRC tyrosine kinase activates the YAP/TAZ axis and thereby drives tumor growth and metastasis. Lamar, JM, Xiao, Y, Norton, E, Jiang, ZG, Gerhard, GM, Kooner, S, Warren, JSA, Hynes, RO. 2019. J. Biol. Chem. 294, 2302-2317.
- Antibodies and methods for immunohistochemistry of extracellular matrix proteins. Rickelt, S, Hynes, RO. 2018. Matrix Biol. 71-72, 10-27.
- Intravital imaging of metastasis in adult Zebrafish. Benjamin, DC, Hynes, RO. 2017. BMC Cancer 17, 660.
- Characterization of the Extracellular Matrix of Normal and Diseased Tissues Using Proteomics. Naba, A, Pearce, OMT, Del Rosario, A, Ma, D, Ding, H, Rajeeve, V, Cutillas, PR, Balkwill, FR, Hynes, RO. 2017. J. Proteome Res. 16, 3083-3091.
- Endothelium-derived fibronectin regulates neonatal vascular morphogenesis in an autocrine fashion. Turner, CJ, Badu-Nkansah, K, Hynes, RO. 2017. Angiogenesis 20, 519-531.
- Evolving policy with science. Charo, RA, Hynes, RO. 2017. Science 355, 889.
- Quantitative proteomic profiling of the extracellular matrix of pancreatic islets during the angiogenic switch and insulinoma progression. Naba, A, Clauser, KR, Mani, DR, Carr, SA, Hynes, RO. 2017. Sci Rep 7, 40495.
- Enrichment of Extracellular Matrix Proteins from Tissues and Digestion into Peptides for Mass Spectrometry Analysis. Naba, A, Clauser, KR, Hynes, RO. 2015. J Vis Exp , e53057.
- The extracellular matrix: Tools and insights for the "omics" era. Naba, A, Clauser, KR, Ding, H, Whittaker, CA, Carr, SA, Hynes, RO. 2016. Matrix Biol. 49, 10-24.
- Tumor angiogenesis in the absence of fibronectin or its cognate integrin receptors. Murphy, PA, Begum, S, Hynes, RO. 2015. PLoS ONE 10, e0120872.