- PhD, 1971, MIT
- MA, 1970, Biochemistry, Cambridge University
- BA, 1966, Biochemistry, Cambridge University
Research SummaryWe study the mechanisms underlying the spread of tumor cells throughout the body, known as metastasis. We are particularly interested in the role of the extracellular matrix — a fibrillar meshwork of proteins that surrounds both normal and tumor cells, which plays many important roles in tumor progression. We also investigate changes in the metastatic cells themselves and in the contributions of normal cells, both in terms of metastasis and other bodily functions.
- Paget-Ewing Award, Metastasis Research Society, 2018
- Inaugural American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Fellow, 2016
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Academy, Fellow, 2014
- Distinguished Investigator Award, International Society for Matrix Biology, 2012
- Earl Benditt Award, North American Vascular Biology Organization, 2010
- Robert and Claire Pasarow Medical Research Award – Cardiovascular, 2008
- E.B. Wilson Medal, American Society for Cell Biology, 2007
- President, American Society for Cell Biology, 2000
- Gairdner Foundation International Award, 1997
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 1996
- National Academy of Medicine, Member, 1995
- Royal Society of London, Fellow, 1989
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI Investigator, 1988
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow, 1987
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 1987
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, Guggenheim Fellowship, 1982
- Suppression of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma growth and metastasis by fibrillar collagens produced selectively by tumor cells. Tian, C, Huang, Y, Clauser, KR, Rickelt, S, Lau, AN, Carr, SA, Vander Heiden, MG, Hynes, RO. 2021. Nat Commun 12, 2328.
- YAP Enhances Tumor Cell Dissemination by Promoting Intravascular Motility and Reentry into Systemic Circulation. Benjamin, DC, Kang, JH, Hamza, B, King, EM, Lamar, JM, Manalis, SR, Hynes, RO. 2020. Cancer Res 80, 3867-3879.
- The scaffold protein IQGAP1 is crucial for extravasation and metastasis. Hebert, JD, Tian, C, Lamar, JM, Rickelt, S, Abbruzzese, G, Liu, X, Hynes, RO. 2020. Sci Rep 10, 2439.
- Cancer Cell-Derived Matrisome Proteins Promote Metastasis in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma. Tian, C, Öhlund, D, Rickelt, S, Lidström, T, Huang, Y, Hao, L, Zhao, RT, Franklin, O, Bhatia, SN, Tuveson, DA et al.. 2020. Cancer Res 80, 1461-1474.
- Proteomic Profiling of the ECM of Xenograft Breast Cancer Metastases in Different Organs Reveals Distinct Metastatic Niches. Hebert, JD, Myers, SA, Naba, A, Abbruzzese, G, Lamar, JM, Carr, SA, Hynes, RO. 2020. Cancer Res 80, 1475-1485.
- Agrin in the Muscularis Mucosa Serves as a Biomarker Distinguishing Hyperplastic Polyps from Sessile Serrated Lesions. Rickelt, S, Condon, C, Mana, M, Whittaker, C, Pfirschke, C, Roper, J, Patil, DT, Brown, I, Mattia, AR, Zukerberg, L et al.. 2020. Clin Cancer Res 26, 1277-1287.
- Proteomic analyses of ECM during pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma progression reveal different contributions by tumor and stromal cells. Tian, C, Clauser, KR, Öhlund, D, Rickelt, S, Huang, Y, Gupta, M, Mani, DR, Carr, SA, Tuveson, DA, Hynes, RO et al.. 2019. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116, 19609-19618.
- Noninvasive imaging of tumor progression, metastasis, and fibrosis using a nanobody targeting the extracellular matrix. Jailkhani, N, Ingram, JR, Rashidian, M, Rickelt, S, Tian, C, Mak, H, Jiang, Z, Ploegh, HL, Hynes, RO. 2019. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116, 14181-14190.
- SRC tyrosine kinase activates the YAP/TAZ axis and thereby drives tumor growth and metastasis. Lamar, JM, Xiao, Y, Norton, E, Jiang, ZG, Gerhard, GM, Kooner, S, Warren, JSA, Hynes, RO. 2019. J Biol Chem 294, 2302-2317.
- Antibodies and methods for immunohistochemistry of extracellular matrix proteins. Rickelt, S, Hynes, RO. 2018. Matrix Biol 71-72, 10-27.