- PhD, 1987, Case Western Reserve University; MD, 1989, Case Western Reserve University
- BS, 1981, Chemistry with Concentration in Solid-State and Polymer Physics, Cornell University
Research SummaryOur goal is to understand how signaling pathways are integrated at the molecular and systems levels to control cellular responses. We have two main focuses: First, we study signaling pathways and networks that control cell cycle progression and DNA damage responses in cancer and cancer therapy. Second, we examine the cross-talk between inflammation, cytokine signaling and cancer. Much of our work focuses on how modular protein domains and kinases work together to build molecular signaling circuits, and how this information can be used to design synergistic drug combinations for the personalized treatment of human disease.
- Teaching with Digital Technology Award, 2018
- A Pleiotropic RNA-Binding Protein Controls Distinct Cell Cycle Checkpoints to Drive Resistance of p53-Defective Tumors to Chemotherapy. Cannell, IG, Merrick, KA, Morandell, S, Zhu, CQ, Braun, CJ, Grant, RA, Cameron, ER, Tsao, MS, Hemann, MT, Yaffe, MB et al.. 2015. Cancer Cell 28, 623-637.
- Phospho-Ser/Thr-binding domains: navigating the cell cycle and DNA damage response. Reinhardt, HC, Yaffe, MB. 2013. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 14, 563-80.
- The bromodomain protein Brd4 insulates chromatin from DNA damage signalling. Floyd, SR, Pacold, ME, Huang, Q, Clarke, SM, Lam, FC, Cannell, IG, Bryson, BD, Rameseder, J, Lee, MJ, Blake, EJ et al.. 2013. Nature 498, 246-50.
- Sequential application of anticancer drugs enhances cell death by rewiring apoptotic signaling networks. Lee, MJ, Ye, AS, Gardino, AK, Heijink, AM, Sorger, PK, MacBeath, G, Yaffe, MB. 2012. Cell 149, 780-94.
- DNA damage activates a spatially distinct late cytoplasmic cell-cycle checkpoint network controlled by MK2-mediated RNA stabilization. Reinhardt, HC, Hasskamp, P, Schmedding, I, Morandell, S, van Vugt, MA, Wang, X, Linding, R, Ong, SE, Weaver, D, Carr, SA et al.. 2010. Mol Cell 40, 34-49.
- COVID-19: All the wrong moves in all the wrong places. Barrett, CD, Yaffe, MB. 2020. Sci Signal 13, .
- Plasmin TEG Rapidly Identifies Trauma Patients at Risk for Massive Transfusion, Mortality and Hyperfibrinolysis: A Diagnostic Tool to Resolve an International Debate on TXA? Barrett, CD, Moore, HB, Vigneshwar, N, Dhara, S, Chandler, J, Chapman, MP, Sauaia, A, Moore, EE, Yaffe, MB. 2020. J Trauma Acute Care Surg , .
- Transite: A Computational Motif-Based Analysis Platform That Identifies RNA-Binding Proteins Modulating Changes in Gene Expression. Krismer, K, Bird, MA, Varmeh, S, Handly, ED, Gattinger, A, Bernwinkler, T, Anderson, DA, Heinzel, A, Joughin, BA, Kong, YW et al.. 2020. Cell Rep 32, 108064.
- STudy of Alteplase for Respiratory failure in SARS-Cov2/COVID-19: Study Design of the Phase IIa STARS Trial. Moore, HB, Barrett, CD, Moore, EE, Jhunjhnuwala, R, McIntyre, RC, Moore, PK, Wang, J, Hajizadeh, N, Talmor, DS, Sauaia, A et al.. 2020. Res Pract Thromb Haemost , .
- Enhancing chemotherapy response through augmented synthetic lethality by co-targeting nucleotide excision repair and cell-cycle checkpoints. Kong, YW, Dreaden, EC, Morandell, S, Zhou, W, Dhara, SS, Sriram, G, Lam, FC, Patterson, JC, Quadir, M, Dinh, A et al.. 2020. Nat Commun 11, 4124.
- BRD4 prevents the accumulation of R-loops and protects against transcription-replication collision events and DNA damage. Lam, FC, Kong, YW, Huang, Q, Vu Han, TL, Maffa, AD, Kasper, EM, Yaffe, MB. 2020. Nat Commun 11, 4083.
- Tranexamic acid is associated with reduced complement activation in trauma patients with hemorrhagic shock and hyperfibrinolysis on thromboelastography. Barrett, CD, Vigneshwar, N, Moore, HB, Ghasabyan, A, Chandler, J, Moore, EE, Yaffe, MB. 2020. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis , .
- Redox priming promotes Aurora A activation during mitosis. Lim, DC, Joukov, V, Rettenmaier, TJ, Kumagai, A, Dunphy, WG, Wells, JA, Yaffe, MB. 2020. Sci Signal 13, .
- Fibrinolytic therapy for refractory COVID-19 acute respiratory distress syndrome: Scientific rationale and review. Barrett, CD, Moore, HB, Moore, EE, McIntyre, RC, Moore, PK, Burke, J, Hua, F, Apgar, J, Talmor, DS, Sauaia, A et al.. 2020. Res Pract Thromb Haemost 4, 524-531.
- Rescue therapy for severe COVID-19-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome with tissue plasminogen activator: A case series. Barrett, CD, Oren-Grinberg, A, Chao, E, Moraco, AH, Martin, MJ, Reddy, SH, Ilg, AM, Jhunjhunwala, R, Uribe, M, Moore, HB et al.. 2020. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 89, 453-457.