- PhD, 1971, University of California, Berkeley
- BA, 1968, Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania
Research SummaryI study ribonucleotide reductases (RNRs), which catalyze the conversion of nucleotides to deoxynucleotides and play an essential role in DNA replication and repair. I support a range of ongoing projects, including those related to the radical propagation pathway utilized by Class I RNRs, the interactions between protein subunits of Class I RNR, the regulation of RNRs, and the mechanisms behind clinical drugs. I also examine the biosynthesis, activation, and regulation of formation of the essential metallo-cofactors of RNRs in E. coli, S. cerevisiae, and humans. JoAnne Stubbe is no longer accepting students.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow, 2014
- National Science Foundation, National Medal of Science, 2008
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 1992
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 1991
- Welch Award in Chemistry 2010
- NAS Chemical Sciences Award 2010
- Pearl Meister Greengard Award 2017
- Conformationally Dynamic Radical Transfer within Ribonucleotide Reductase. Greene, BL, Taguchi, AT, Stubbe, J, Nocera, DG. 2017. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 16657-16665.
- Spectroscopic Evidence for a H Bond Network at Y356 Located at the Subunit Interface of Active E. coli Ribonucleotide Reductase. Nick, TU, Ravichandran, KR, Stubbe, J, Kasanmascheff, M, Bennati, M. 2017. Biochemistry 56, 3647-3656.
- Glutamate 52-β at the α/β subunit interface of Escherichia coli class Ia ribonucleotide reductase is essential for conformational gating of radical transfer. Lin, Q, Parker, MJ, Taguchi, AT, Ravichandran, K, Kim, A, Kang, G, Shao, J, Drennan, CL, Stubbe, J. 2017. J. Biol. Chem. 292, 9229-9239.
- Formal Reduction Potentials of Difluorotyrosine and Trifluorotyrosine Protein Residues: Defining the Thermodynamics of Multistep Radical Transfer. Ravichandran, KR, Zong, AB, Taguchi, AT, Nocera, DG, Stubbe, J, Tommos, C. 2017. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 2994-3004.
- Glutamate 350 Plays an Essential Role in Conformational Gating of Long-Range Radical Transport in Escherichia coli Class Ia Ribonucleotide Reductase. Ravichandran, K, Minnihan, EC, Lin, Q, Yokoyama, K, Taguchi, AT, Shao, J, Nocera, DG, Stubbe, J. 2017. Biochemistry 56, 856-868.