- PhD, 1966, Rockefeller University
- BS, 1962, Chemistry and Mathematics, Kenyon College
Research SummaryHarvey Lodish has been a leader in molecular cell biology as well as a biotechnology entrepreneur for over five decades. Much of his early research focused on the regulation of messenger RNA translation and the biogenesis of plasma membrane glycoproteins. Beginning in the 1980s, his research focused on cloning and characterizing many proteins, microRNAs, and long noncoding RNAs important for red cell development and function. His laboratory was the first to clone and sequence mRNAs encoding many hormone receptors, mammalian glucose transport proteins, and proteins important for adipose cell formation and function. He went on to identify and characterize several genes and proteins involved in insulin resistance and stress responses in adipose cells. Over the years, he has mentored hundreds of undergraduates, PhD and MD/PhD students, and postdoctoral fellows, and continues to teach award-winning undergraduate and graduate classes on biotechnology. Harvey Lodish closed his lab in 2020 and is no longer accepting students.
- Wallace H. Coulter Award for Lifetime Achievement in Hematology, American Society of Hematology, 2021
- Donald Metcalf Award, International Society for Experimental Hematology, 2020
- American Society for Cell Biology WICB Sandra K. Masur Senior Leadership Award, 2017
- Pioneer Award, Diamond Blackfan Anemia Foundation, 2016
- Mentor Award in Basic Science, American Society of Hematology, 2010
- President, American Society for Cell Biology, 2004
- Associate Member, European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO), 1996
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 1987
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 1986
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, Guggenheim Fellowship, 1977
- Engineered erythrocytes covalently linked to antigenic peptides can protect against autoimmune disease. Pishesha, N, Bilate, AM, Wibowo, MC, Huang, NJ, Li, Z, Deshycka, R, Bousbaine, D, Li, H, Patterson, HC, Dougan, SK et al.. 2017. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 114, 3157-3162.
- TGF-β inhibitors stimulate red blood cell production by enhancing self-renewal of BFU-E erythroid progenitors. Gao, X, Lee, HY, da Rocha, EL, Zhang, C, Lu, YF, Li, D, Feng, Y, Ezike, J, Elmes, RR, Barrasa, MI et al.. 2016. Blood 128, 2637-2641.
- PPAR-α and glucocorticoid receptor synergize to promote erythroid progenitor self-renewal. Lee, HY, Gao, X, Barrasa, MI, Li, H, Elmes, RR, Peters, LL, Lodish, HF. 2015. Nature 522, 474-7.
- De Novo Reconstruction of Adipose Tissue Transcriptomes Reveals Long Non-coding RNA Regulators of Brown Adipocyte Development. Alvarez-Dominguez, JR, Bai, Z, Xu, D, Yuan, B, Lo, KA, Yoon, MJ, Lim, YC, Knoll, M, Slavov, N, Chen, S et al.. 2015. Cell Metab 21, 764-776.
- Cpeb4-mediated translational regulatory circuitry controls terminal erythroid differentiation. Hu, W, Yuan, B, Lodish, HF. 2014. Dev Cell 30, 660-72.
- An adipose lncRAP2-Igf2bp2 complex enhances adipogenesis and energy expenditure by stabilizing target mRNAs. Alvarez-Dominguez, JR, Winther, S, Hansen, JB, Lodish, HF, Knoll, M. 2022. iScience 25, 103680.
- Engineered red blood cells carrying PCSK9 inhibitors persistently lower LDL and prevent obesity. Deshycka, R, Sudaryo, V, Huang, NJ, Xie, Y, Smeding, LY, Choi, MK, Ploegh, HL, Lodish, HF, Pishesha, N. 2021. PLoS One 16, e0259353.
- Over 60 Years of Experimental Hematology (without a License). Lodish, HF. 2020. Exp Hematol 89, 1-12.
- Phosphocholine accumulation and PHOSPHO1 depletion promote adipose tissue thermogenesis. Jiang, M, Chavarria, TE, Yuan, B, Lodish, HF, Huang, NJ. 2020. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 117, 15055-15065.
- Rate of Progression through a Continuum of Transit-Amplifying Progenitor Cell States Regulates Blood Cell Production. Li, H, Natarajan, A, Ezike, J, Barrasa, MI, Le, Y, Feder, ZA, Yang, H, Ma, C, Markoulaki, S, Lodish, HF et al.. 2019. Dev Cell 49, 118-129.e7.
- FAM210B is an erythropoietin target and regulates erythroid heme synthesis by controlling mitochondrial iron import and ferrochelatase activity. Yien, YY, Shi, J, Chen, C, Cheung, JTM, Grillo, AS, Shrestha, R, Li, L, Zhang, X, Kafina, MD, Kingsley, PD et al.. 2018. J Biol Chem 293, 19797-19811.
- SYK kinase mediates brown fat differentiation and activation. Knoll, M, Winther, S, Natarajan, A, Yang, H, Jiang, M, Thiru, P, Shahsafaei, A, Chavarria, TE, Lamming, DW, Sun, L et al.. 2017. Nat Commun 8, 2115.
- Fifty years of mentoring and advising. Lodish, HF. 2017. Mol Biol Cell 28, 2908-2910.
- Emerging mechanisms of long noncoding RNA function during normal and malignant hematopoiesis. Alvarez-Dominguez, JR, Lodish, HF. 2017. Blood 130, 1965-1975.
- Genetically engineered red cells expressing single domain camelid antibodies confer long-term protection against botulinum neurotoxin. Huang, NJ, Pishesha, N, Mukherjee, J, Zhang, S, Deshycka, R, Sudaryo, V, Dong, M, Shoemaker, CB, Lodish, HF. 2017. Nat Commun 8, 423.