EducationMD 1984, Harvard Medical School
Research SummaryWe seek to understand the genetic differences between males and females — both within and beyond the reproductive tract. We study the medical ramifications of these differences in a broad context, through comparative biological, evolutionary, developmental and clinically focused analyses. Our three main veins of research relate to sex differences in health and disease, sex chromosome genomics, and germ cell origins and development.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow, 2012
- March of Dimes, Developmental Biology, 2011
- National Academy of Medicine, Member, 2008
- National Academy of Sciences, Member, 2005
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI Investigator, 1990
- MacArthur Foundation, MacArthur Fellowship, 1986
- Selection Has Countered High Mutability to Preserve the Ancestral Copy Number of Y Chromosome Amplicons in Diverse Human Lineages. Teitz, LS, Pyntikova, T, Skaletsky, H, Page, DC. 2018. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 103, 261-275.
- Cost-effective high-throughput single-haplotype iterative mapping and sequencing for complex genomic structures. Bellott, DW, Cho, TJ, Hughes, JF, Skaletsky, H, Page, DC. 2018. Nat Protoc 13, 787-809.
- Conserved microRNA targeting reveals preexisting gene dosage sensitivities that shaped amniote sex chromosome evolution. Naqvi, S, Bellott, DW, Lin, KS, Page, DC. 2018. Genome Res. 28, 474-483.
- Periodic production of retinoic acid by meiotic and somatic cells coordinates four transitions in mouse spermatogenesis. Endo, T, Freinkman, E, de Rooij, DG, Page, DC. 2017. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 114, E10132-E10141.
- Meioc maintains an extended meiotic prophase I in mice. Soh, YQS, Mikedis, MM, Kojima, M, Godfrey, AK, de Rooij, DG, Page, DC. 2017. PLoS Genet. 13, e1006704.
- Avian W and mammalian Y chromosomes convergently retained dosage-sensitive regulators. Bellott, DW, Skaletsky, H, Cho, TJ, Brown, L, Locke, D, Chen, N, Galkina, S, Pyntikova, T, Koutseva, N, Graves, T et al.. 2017. Nat. Genet. 49, 387-394.
- A widely employed germ cell marker is an ancient disordered protein with reproductive functions in diverse eukaryotes. Carmell, MA, Dokshin, GA, Skaletsky, H, Hu, YC, van Wolfswinkel, JC, Igarashi, KJ, Bellott, DW, Nefedov, M, Reddien, PW, Enders, GC et al.. 2016. Elife 5, .
- Parallel evolution of male germline epigenetic poising and somatic development in animals. Lesch, BJ, Silber, SJ, McCarrey, JR, Page, DC. 2016. Nat. Genet. 48, 888-94.
- The history of the Y chromosome in man. Hughes, JF, Page, DC. 2016. Nat. Genet. 48, 588-9.
- The Biology and Evolution of Mammalian Y Chromosomes. Hughes, JF, Page, DC. 2015. Annu. Rev. Genet. 49, 507-27.