|Mentor competencies||Mentor best practices||Mentee competencies|
|Support your mentee in formulating a career development plan that includes activities to foster professional growth.||Support diverse career directions and outcomes. Suggest and encourage mentee involvement in suitable career exploration activities. Introduce mentees to others in your network or otherwise help them make connections.||Take a proactive role in your career development. Seek opportunities to advance your professional development and discuss them with your mentor.|
Refer to the Mentoring Resources page for supporting materials and training opportunities.
- Student and postdoc IDP processes
- Professional development requirement for graduate students (and associated materials).
- $1k from the department for biograds to attend a conference or professional development course/workshop (contact Betsey)
- Postdoc travel fellowships from biology units.
- MIT Career and Professional Development (CAPD)
- Postdoc faculty job search workshops
- Path of Professorship
- IAP talks/panels
- MIT Biotech Group
Potential pitfalls for mentors
- Devaluing non-academic career paths / extracurricular activities that are important to your individuals in training.
- Treating career-development activities as “extramural” and not part of the training experience.